We work some crazy hours and it’s nice to have a few tools which make our commute a legit experience.
The three items we recommend all shift workers need when traveling from point A to point B is:
BEAST Stainless Steel Insulated Tumbler from Amazon.com
You do not need to keep buying takeaway cups every time you have a coffee. Do your thing for the environment, as most of these cups ARE NOT recyclable and go straight into landfill.
Thermos Stainless Steel Compact Bottle from Amazon.com.
It’s an utter pain in the butt having a drink bottle that leaks. This thermos is perfect for those shift workers who have a desk job and would prefer to poor quality coffee from home rather than the instant stuff they provide at work. Plus, this is how we transport soup without spilling a drop!
Infusion Pro Water Infuser from Amazon.com.
As much as we want to drink caffeine ALL DAY LONG, it’s not really sustainable for our long to term health or when trying to sleep. So drinking water, infused with fruit, can make staying hydrated during a shift an easy, refreshing task.
Why do you even need a tumbler?
We enjoy starting our day with a cup of tea and I’m sure you want to start yours with a coffee. But we can’t wait till we get to work. We want it during our commute so we’re ready to rock and roll when arriving.
The other reason is, we are sick of throwing away paper cups into landfill. This is totally avoidable, as most coffee shops will fill up your tumbler or take away mug, instead of using their cups. Us shift workers have the opportunity to do something for the environment and it’s super easy.
The tumbler we recommend for shift workers is the BEAST tumbler (click to see via Amazon.com).
It is perfect for keeping our drinks hot and water super cold for an entire shift. Even when working 12 hours!
It comes in two different sizes, the 20 oz and the 30 oz. We opted for the larger one so we could take it away when traveling and for longer 12-hour shifts. Both sizes fit snug into most car cup holders too.
What we love about the BEAST tumbler in comparison to some others out there are three main things.
- Dishwasher safe
- All Greens Steel Products come with a lifetime guarantee which is basically unheard of anywhere else. If you’re not 100% satisfied, get your money back.
- It comes with extras. x2 different sized straws varying in shape. (Smaller diameter straw for water and ice tea and a large one for smoothies). You also get a straw cleaner, cleaning instructions for the lid and beautiful, professional packaging if you wanted to give it as a gift.
The only thing we aren’t 100% sold on is the lid. Despite being sturdy, it’s only spill proof and not leak proof. We knew this before we purchase and in no way has it been a problem, it just makes it less versatile. You are fine with it sitting in your car cup holder, but don’t think about throwing it in your bag anytime soon.
In saying that, here are four other reasons we love the BEAST:
- Sweat Free
- Cheaper price in relation to the competition
- High-quality materials
- Lots of great colors to choose from
If you want to check out a video review Em did, click here.
Thermos Leak Proof Bottle
If you are looking for a bottle you can just “throw in your bag,” this is a perfect choice.
The Thermos Stainless Steel Compact Bottle (click through to see it via Amazon.com) addresses two concerns people have with tumblers; no leakage and you also get a cup!
In our shift working travels, we have overheard and witnessed people say things like, “if only my tumbler had a spill proof lid” and this bottle fills that void.
Here is what we love about it:
- Great for storing soup (and hot dogs!). Transporting soup to work is often a challenge due to concerns over leaking throughout your bag. Not any more.
- There is no glass, it’s purely made with stainless steel so there is less chance of breaking (or rusting).
- Fits into a car cup holder
- Keeps liquids hot for 12 hours and cold for 24 hours
- 16-ounce capacity
- Dishwasher safe (We have heard that using an effervescent denture cleaning tablet is a great method for cleaning the inside too).
- Trusted brand
If you want a “sip and go” option the BEAST if for you. However, if you want a “sit and pour” bottle, the Thermos is perfect.
Fruit Infused Water Bottle
Shift workers LOVE caffeine and while we don’t drink coffee, Tea is a must. Both of these drinks have nutritional health benefits, though the one negative point they both have in common is they keep you awake.
We recommend staying away from the caffeine within 6 hours of going to sleep if you want to feel calm and avoid the disruptions of needing the bathroom.
But drinking just plain water during a shift can get pretty mundane.
Sure you can just spice up your h2o with fruit, but then you’re left to battle the pips and pulp and it can get very annoying.
That is why we recommend the Infusion Pro Water Infuser (click to check it out via Amazon.com).
Here are the specific points we like that trump the competition.
- The “fruit basket” is at the bottom, not at the top. This is important because it means all the water is being infused with the fruit juice and not just the top. With other bottles we have tried in the past, we found that once you drink half the water, the fruit flavor starts to deteriorate. We don’t experience that here.
- No leaks. We initially worried as there are more seals at the bottom (due to the fruit basket) but we haven’t had an issue and neither does the other reviewers.
- Top-rack dishwasher safe (but we just hand wash ours)
- Square bottom fruit basket. These baskets are often round so you have to hold with one hand fill with the other. However, being flat you can set it on the bench, cut your fruit and throw it in.
- Anti-sweat sleeve. It comes with a handy sleeve which keeps the drinks cold and stops the “sweat” or condensation from the water inside. Just wash this with warm water and dish soap and allow it to air dry.
- Small drinking spout lid. There are other brands with a similar feature but we like that this one is smaller and takes up less room.
- Water recipe ebook included in price
- Great looking drink bottle
12-hour shift worker tip
Start your day filling the basket with your favorite fruits. However, after about 8 hours you may need a change. Try a drop of vanilla with oranges (peeled and sliced) for a great refreshing flavor!